So usually when Lent rolls around I give up something frivolous that I don't really care about, or something that I was ready to do anyway like no soda or desserts...I have a lot of food sacrifices in my past. Some years I've even added something in (like I have time for more things), such as doing some volunteering or reading a book.
Well this year, I came up with something truly difficult for me in a stroke of inspiration...or idiocy depending on how you look at it. For 40 days, no SHOPPING. (Megan Prentice, I know you are gasping in horror right now). Let me tell you, I'm not a big shopper in the sense that I am going to the mall all the time or spending large amounts, but I do shop.
So my deal is that I couldn't buy anything for myself other then food and necessities. No clothes, no yarn, no music (surprisingly the hardest so far), or new books (tied for hardest). I knew that would be difficult, but I'm prepared for those. It's the stuff you aren't suspecting that has proven tougher. For instance today, I was at my gym getting ready to work out and ran into my friend Dan, the fitness manager there. He told me that they had gotten in a shipment of bugs (the fitness monitors they use on Biggest Loser). He had one left, and had thought I might like it as he knows how hard I've been working on my weight loss this year. I've actually been intrigued with that little gadget since I first saw them on BL, and of course said "Yes, I'll pick it up tomorrow!" Then my other self kicked in, and I remembered that I was a shopping blackout, and that the Bug definitely fit into my categories of not-allowed-to-buy. So I had to go back to Dan and decline the offer, at least until their next shipment came in and Lent was over.
Oh well, at least my soul is still in good shape...
Thursday, March 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
oh you definitely earned heaven brownie points for that one Peeps. I'm not doing as well with my 'no yarn for Lent' but seeing as how I don't actually celebrate any religious holidays anyways, I guess I'm ahead of the game :-)
keep it up Peepster!
Those body bugs are cool. hard one to pass up :-)
Oh you are so going to heaven...could NEVER do this, should, but couldn't.
Post a Comment