Two words: The Help
If you haven't read this book, go get it right now (and no Katie, it's not a YA book). Better yet, get it on audiotape because the four ladies who narrate it are amazing. And I generally hate audiotapes.
The book is simply amazing. It follows two maids and one socialite in Jackson Mississippi during the 1960's when they decide to try and write a book allowing 12 of the maids to tell their story during one of our nation's most racially charged periods of history. The women carefully write their book over the backdrop of The March on Washington, JFK's assassination, Lunch-counter protests, desegregating schools, and Vietnam. The story is so artfully drawn out making you laugh so hard you cry, and cry so hard, you can't wait to laugh again. Through the eyes of these three women, we somehow see the beauty of these lives in a time where people show little beauty to each other. Seriously, GO! Read it right now!
Wednesday, November 17, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
can you bring it to roatan or do you only have it on tape?
maybe you'll find it in your stocking... :D
Agreed, P! I just finished listening to it and I didn't want it to end. This was a book that I'd seen reviews of, and I wasn't terribly interested in, but I'm so glad you brought it on our trip. "Two Slice Hilly" lol!
Reading it, reading it....loving it, loving it!!!!
Will check it out. I'm in need of a book
Post a Comment