Sorry for the lag in posts, not much to report when you've been sleeping your days away trying to recover. I actually am at school today, so I feel like that is a huge accomplishment for me. I'm still not 100%, but I'm feeling a ton better. Now to get rid of this disgusting cough!
While recouping, I spent a lot of time watching tv and reading, although the reading was hard up until last week as I usually couldn't keep my eyes open long enough to get more then a chapter done. I did manage to finish a couple books though. My favorite from the recovery period was Water For Elephants. I honestly don't know why it took me so long to read this. It's been on my reading list for ages! If you haven't checked it out, do so immediately. It's a story told from alternating time periods: The narrator in the present (93 years-old), and at the turn of the century (when he's 23) and joins a traveling railroad circus as the veteranarian. I'm not sure which parts of the story I liked better. You ache for him at 93 fighting to be treated like a person instead of an patient, and you want to see what happens to him at 23 as he tries to move on after the death of both parents. Great story line, and fun to read about the circus (alot of the circus stories Gruen includes are actual stories from her research).
I also read a really clever young adult book called The Grimm Legacy about a girl who works in a library that checks out items instead of
books. You can check out anything: rugs, clothes, records, tea cups. Most stuff are ordinary everyday objects, but they also have special collectionslike the Wells Collection which has objects based on the novels of HG Wells, and the Grimm Collection which has magical objects based on the fairy tales of the Grimm's brothers and other fairy tale writers. To get an object from the Grimm collection, you have to give something up. Elizabeth gives up her sense of direction, and doesn't get it back when the object she borrows comes back and the magic is gone. She and her fellow library pages have to figure out what's going on with the magic in the Grimm Collection before it's too late. It was a really unique take on a fantasy book. Lots of action and twists for our characters on their adventure to save the collection!

3 comments:
so happy YOU are on the mend. Now I have sick Katie to listen to :-(
Don't know why, but I didn't care for Water for Elephants. But that Grimm book sounds like fun.
i loved water for elephants, cant believe you didnt like it mom!
I loved water for elephants too!
Post a Comment