It’s not my day to blog, but I decided to share this on our Convention Blog today (and with all of you). I bought a book by L. William
Countryman this week at the Exhibit Hall called Love Songs & Reproaches, a Conversation with God. (I know. You’re shocked that I bought
a book, but you don't have to move it mom!) It has a poem in it that is
really speaking to me about General Convention, and church governance, and
really churches in general, so I thought I’d share it with you.
Fair warning: you are
about to read poetry, something that gets my students shaking in their boots. J
A Voice in the Static
Your
words are hard to decipher,
your
voice, submerged in the static
of
chattering minds and hearts,
is
hard to hear—
above
all, for us the pious,
trying
so hard to listen!
Jesus
was never more of a problem
than
for us who knew God best,
who
read the scriptures and taught
the
rest to know their sins.
The
more confidence, the more static.
Better
to confess, with Solomon,
that,
finally, we do not know.
Confessing
our ignorance, we make room
for
friendship, we affirm beyond our understanding.
When Jesus brought good news,
he
said, “Turn and believe.”
What
does it take to believe
good
news? Turning away from despair,
from
fear and foreboding, surrender
of
self-confidence, the opening of the hand
to
receive goodness, the triumph
of
thanksgiving over dread.
Grace
can
only come as surprise.
And
when grace comes, it confuses
all
our accounts. All that time
spent
with the double-entry columns
of
our merits and our sins—all
swept
away. All that deliberation,
the
slow building of confident theologies—
all
shattered. Yet, not all wasted.
Lying
among the fragments,
we
find, like Paul, the neglected
words
that could have pointed us
toward
the forgotten possibility,
to
a knowledge of you that admits
we
do not know, to a heart
willing
to accept surprise.
Turn and believe the good news.
Your
good news does not amend our knowledge of you.
It
upends it, till every element of it,
shaken
loose in free fall,
rearrange
itself to form
a
picture we recognize and yet
could
not have drawn before.
Turn and believe. There is no hearing
of
your voice that does not transform.
And
no single hearing
that
transforms once and for all.
Always
some static remains,
blurring
the voice we hear.
Grace,
even when we have known it
many
times before,
will
still find ways to surprise.
Its
music penetrates the gabble
and
we are astonished and we are changed.
1 comment:
I'm too tired from moving your boxes of books to read a long poem :-)
Post a Comment