Blog Archive

Thursday, December 20, 2012

Scotland, Durham, and York

We have made it safely to England! We started our journey in Edinburgh after a 10 hour flight, during which I, of course, slept for a grand total of 10 minutes.  I did get a nap from London to Edinburgh, so that helped a little bit.  I'm a trooper though, so I was ready to venture out when we got into our cute little hotel, which even had three places for us to sleep (2 beds plus a couch).

We toured Edinburgh Castle and the museum (where all good things were noted as being in the British Museum).  The castle was really cool though, and it was the one thing I wanted to see in Scotland.  I'm pretty sure I could move there, marry a Scottish lad and be perfectly content for the rest of my life.  :)

We headed to Durham next, braving the roads (Katie), and navigating with a TomTom (Pia), and trying to get us lost regardless of the TomTom (Laurie).  Our only tour stop there was at Hadrian's Wall.  The museum was closed, but we were able to hike to the wall and walk around.  It was cool to see the ruins of the outpost and the wall still standing.  Mom loved all the history there, as did Katie and I.  The 3.5 mile hike was nice after all the car driving.

We're in York now.  Just got done at the Jorvick Viking Center, and are heading to York Minster now.  More to come, plus pictures (when we get home). Love you all and Merry Christmas!
Pia

No comments: