Second, I have a way to post pictures now, thanks to Brad, our engineering professor: I just need to find a good time to do it. The slow connection speed means I need a time when there are not a lot of people on the system. Keep checking back because when I do get some on, I will add pics to my other posts.
Abomey was one of the places where Africans were sold into slavery by the king
The most upsetting part of the tour for me was not the sacrificial rooms, or any of that, it was the building that represented the French conquering the people of Dahomey. When they beat the king, they built a house for the French commander in the heart of the village literally: they placed it in the king's private quarters to show who was really in charge. It was just such an overwhelming and offensive act to me because it showed quite visually that the king no longer had power, not even in his own household.
Our visit there also brought another opportunity for bartering. It was fun to haggle and feel more comfortable about it, even though it is still strange to barter over prices that are so much lower the what we pay in America. However, these vendors were ready to wheel and deal. I definitely ended up buying
The trip to and from Abomey took us through some beautiful country and a different side of Benin- the agricultural parts. This is clearly a fertile country for growing all sorts of crops. On the way home we got to experience some rain and potholes that make me want to never complain about Spokane roads again! Literally the rain was carving little ditches that we had to get across; and at one point the road was more of a river. I can't even imagine what the rainy season must be like, but I was thankful for my shoes.
Which reminds me, I finally got my bag and my shoes from the airport! I had some happy feet yesterday! The airport experiences have been good learning opportunities for me in Benin. They have given me a chance to practice my French which is really rusty, and get comfortable trying to work out how to say things to non-English speaking people with a bit of Fr
OK friends, this is all of the French keyboard I can handle today, which has been even harder, since I'm using an American keyboard but it still uses all the same French key placements... I hope you are all well, and I look forward to seeing you on-line. Oh, and if there is anything you want to know about, post a question in the comments section, and I'll answer what I can!
Pia
3 comments:
so glad to read that you finally got your shoes!! hope everyone is safe and can't wait to see you!
glad to know you got your shoes (cuz Rotch cannot survive on 1 pair of shoes as far as I know ;-*) The village sounds really interesting, I would enjoy that! I know a little bit about the slave trade but didn't know this tidbit. Glad to know you are getting savvy w the bartering, it will come in handy when you go to garage sales with me! XXX Mom
I am learning to drive a hard bargin mom, especially in French! I will be ready to meet all you translation needs at our next French yard sale! The bit about the Africans trading people with the Europeans was new to me as well. Appearantly, there were slaves in Benin well before Europeans came in the form of prisoners of war basically.
Post a Comment