My small group is also going to be teaching a lesson to the rest of our group tonight on numbers in French to use at the market tomorrow. We have also planned some key phrases for everyone to learn. Before dinner, we will teach our lesson in one of the outdoor classrooms and practice some bartering together in pairs. We thought it would be a good thing to teach because yesterday it was much easier to haggle if you knew the numbers in French. Also, the merchants loved it if you could speak a little French with them, although, they all knew English as well! My friend Sarah at the Market in Cotonou
Today might also finally bring about the return of my bag from the airport. Yesterday we returned home empty handed where luggage was concerned because the flight from Paris had not ever come. Today, we are smart enough to call ahead about the bag! I’m a bit torn about the whole thing. I really want my bag as I am dying for my other shoes, but today’s adventure should be so fun, I don’t want to miss any of it with my group. I guess we’ll just have to wait and see what happens.
The people at Songhai Center are amazing. It feels a bit ridiculous to be helping them make the Filtrons right now because they are the ones who need to know how to do it, and I feel like I’m just taking up valuable space when I’m helping. They are amazing with how quickly they are absorbing the information and running with it. By the end of our two weeks, I am sure that they will be manufacturing faster then we had hoped for. Talking with Theodore yesterday about the Filtrons, has helped me to understand how important they are going to be. All of the staff knows what we are doing here, and are excited about the new technology. It will mean that they and their communities can drink water from the local sources safely instead of having to buy expensive bottled water. Theodore said that he never drinks water from the tap, and does most of his food shopping at the Songhai Center. It is clear that the Filtrons will have a great impact once they start production and marketing them. The goal seems to be to get the Filtrons into the schools and hospitals first, as well as do demonstrations and sell them at their store here at the center and their stands in the markets. I believe that when Gonzaga returns in a year, they will see the Filtrons all over the place.
Well, my Internet time is finished for today, but I will try to post some more tonight on the day.
Au revoir!
Pia
No comments:
Post a Comment