Blog Archive

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The traveller

This post goes out to my buddy Brad V.

Brad is a teacher from Freeman Elementary who decided to take a year off from teaching to travel around the country (and wherever else his heart desires) so that he can recharge the batteries. I think it's especially brave as Brad has pretty much lived and worked in Spokane his whole life!

So far Brad has been to New York, and has driven to LA and back to drop off his sister at UCLA for school, as well as made the move to Seattle where he is staying with some buddies. It's been fun to check in with Brad every couple of weeks to see what's new and how he's doing. He'll be in Seattle for a couple of months working a little to save up some extra dough before he heads across country at a leisurely pace.

Besides being incredibly jealous that Brad is on this amazing adventure while I'm back in my classroom teaching the masses, he has inspired me to do some more traveling myself. On the docket for this year are a pilgrimage or two to Seattle to see the family and some friends, and a Spring Break trip to DC to spend time with the other half of the Longinotti clan and do some sight-seeing. I have also filled out my application to join Gonzaga's teaching in Tuscany program this summer. I'll be spending two weeks in Florence teaching English and exploring the city. I'm hoping to delay my flight back from Italy to do a little more traveling for a week or so with my friend Matt. He'll be returning from South Africa for a few weeks at about the same time. I'm also trying to convince Brad to come with me and do the program as Florence is a city he loves.

Anyway, here's to new adventures this year for everyone!

12 comments:

Laurie said...

love your new look! kewl picture too, did you take it? And maybe you need a housekeeper while you are teaching in Florence???

Unknown said...

Thanks mom. I did take that pic when I was in Hawaii. I thought it was fitting for my blog. I need a little rescuing sometimes. As for the housekeeper, we'll for sure talk!

Sue said...

WAIT!!! I am a MUCH better housekeeper than your mother - I'm SURE of it! I'll bring the Dyson!

Lis said...

Wow, teaching in Florence will be amazing! Get some gelatto for me please.

Anonymous said...

umm things seem to be developing with you and brad :)

Lis said...

Do you have a secret crush on Brad? Exciting! Maybe you can just MAKE a baby. instead of going to China to get one you could go to Italy and get it on!

Unknown said...

Wow, that really went an unexpected direction...Carol! Brad and I are just friends, which is a good place to be especially with him travelling around the country and NOT in Spokane this year. I will leave it at that, and promise immediate updates if that ever changes.

Lis, it used to be a secret crush, but clearly Carol didn't quite grasp the secret part. I am focused on the friednship piece right now. Seems like a good place to start for now. Not sure the Italy fling would work out too well though, as I am too much the good girl. As for the babies, it is much more likely for that to happen then for me to finally give into my mama's unrequited dream that one of us adopts a Chinese baby :)

Lis said...

Sorry Pia, I guess you're getting picked on a lot. :-(

Unknown said...

No worries Lis. I'm used to it. I don't feel picked on on MY site.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry Pia...

Meg said...

Screw Brad (not literally) and head to China:). That sounds amazing Peeps, you're changing the world and I think you're amazing.

Laurie said...

China, Italy, I'm not fussy, just get a baby somehow, somewhere. Zaide is way ahead of me! And Susna, bring the Dyson over HERE first! I need it!