Blog Archive

Monday, September 15, 2008

Why do I do it to myself?!

I need to start off by saying yet again that I love teaching! I really do. Every year though, I remember at about the three week period that I am an idiot. Why, you may be asking yourself? Because it is at this point when I realize I have already buried myself in grading.

I have hit the ground running yet again, and given myself the nice little gift of two sets of papers and three sets of WASL practice tests to grade. Before you start thinking "What's the big deal? It's just a little grading." I should admit that each essay takes me about 20 minutes to grade because I actually give feedback so my students can grow as writers, and the tests are going to take at least that long each.

Oh well, it's why they pay me the big bucks, right?

8 comments:

Laurie said...

it gives you something to do while you are watching TV. Can't you hire one of those graders???

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain!! Once upon a time, I was a math teacher and I lived my life with the guilt of ungraded papers everyday! Ugh! Not to make it worse for you, but my only saving grace was that I was not an English teacher with writing to grade. I'm sorry!

Meg said...

Just give them all A's! Or switch to Kindergarten, no homework:). But lots of snotty noses and bundle wiping.

Laurie said...

and believe it or not, they probably have homework too. just ask Tate!

Lis said...

The big bucks and the extra long schooling on top of it!

Unknown said...

I do give them all A's if I don't grade an assignment Meg. It's been great because they stop harassing me, and I still reward them for their work. Of course, this only happens at the end of the semester when I have to actually submit my grades...

Unknown said...

We call that "job satisfaction" and "professional development" Lis. Don't you wish you had a job that makes you go back for more education, but doesn't help pay for it? Super fun!

Sue said...

Oh, there IS homework in Kindergarten - and Fun-raising - and if you buy the most stuff yourself at the fun-raiser, you get to ride in a limbo . . . poor Noodle - full day K is tough!