Blog Archive

Friday, August 19, 2011

The cinnamon roll saga

A quick note, this is one of the more exciting stories in my life of late, so be forewarned, my life isn't very exciting right now! :)

As many of you know, I'm in my last week at camp for the official summer! Woo hoo! Part of our summer closing includes spending some time together and having a nice dinner to end on a lovely note.  Yesterday was that day.  My friend, Michelle Klippert, invited the staff to use her cabin for dinner and a sleepover, which we were all excited about.  The caveat was that the staff really wanted me to make cinnamon rolls for breakfast this morning.

I was all for it.  I don't make them very often and they are delicious, but there was a slight hitch in our plan: Michelle doesn't have a stand mixer and I wasn't going to make break dough by hand.  Sorry! So we decided we would bring the Hobart from camp to Michelle's to make everyone's dream of cinnamon-y goodness come true.

Great plan, until you try to lift up the Hobart ( a two person process at least).  Here is a picture of a much newer version of what we were trying to carry.  The boys were all like, "yeah, no problem! We'll carry it so we can have cinnamon rolls!" And then they got it down to the dock (by vehicle) and Curtis and Dan were like "No f***ing way am I carrying that thing again!"

Needless to say, we did get it loaded and even unloaded at Michelle's with much gripping and back pain.  So finally last night, after I had finished making dinner for everyone (not the original plan mind you, but Colin had left all his stuff at the dock and had to drive back for it), it was time for me to make said rolls.  First, the boys had to carry the Hobart up the stairs to the kitchen for me, (which Curtis and Dan did-either they got a second wind, or were willing to do it since I did all the cooking so they didn't have to at dinner... maybe it was just that they had already had a beer or two, whatever).

So those two saints lugged it up the stairs and onto the counter for me.  I lifted the garbage bag they had covered it with for transport, ready to begin.  That was when we realized there was a small insurmountable problem (unlike the large heavy carrying problem); the boys had taken the mixing bowl off the Hobart when they moved it out of the kitchen, and forgotten to then bring it down to the boat.  We had the machine, the attachments, but no bowl in which to mix said rolls.

Needless to say, we had pancakes this morning.  Maybe, I'll try again tonight now that we're back at camp. :)

5 comments:

Meredith said...

I am in awe of this story. That is one gargantuan mixer (dwarfed only by its big brother that lives on the floor in the corner). I'm just sad you didn't have any cinnamon rolls when all was said and done!

Katie said...

wow - are you sure yall weren't drinking when you concocted this crazy plan?!?!?! :D

Laurie said...

that IS a sad story, albeit a story of idiots. I do get the forgetting a vital piece though, having left something behind on virtually every trip of my whole life.

How come you never make cinnamon rolls for US? I had no idea you had this talent.

Unknown said...

I hid my talent for cinnamon rolls b/c it was such a hideous ordeal every week when I was camp cook that I couldn't bear to make them again. I feel like 10 years is a good recovery amount, so I'm ready to make them again. :)

Berly said...

Mmmm... I remember making Camp Cross cinnamon rolls back in the day! Yum Yum! I also remember thinking, "I'll never be able to do this again!"