Blog Archive

Monday, August 13, 2007

Ouidah

Yesterday, my class traveled to Ouidah, which is the port where slaves were transported out of Benin upon being sold to the European slave traders. The whole day brought some interesting experiences really.

We started off with another very long bus drive up to one of the Northern Songhai Centers. Thank goodness our buses are comfortable! We arrived around lunch time and ate our sandwiches at the administrative center before driving a little further on to see the farm itself (we went to a center dedicated to farming practices). There we saw crops like rice and corn being grown as well as another large fish hatchery. We met some of the workers and took their picture, leaving a few behind thanks to a Polaroid camera.

After Songhai North, we drove down to Ouidah. Our first stop was at the Temple of the Sacred Pythons, which is located directly across from a Catholic church. We learned a little about the Voodoo religion while we were there. At this temple, snakes were an integral part of the worship. We learned that the temple pythons were let free to go when they needed to feed, and that people from the community brought them back when they were found around the town. Our guide brought a python out that many of us wore around our neck. In the spirit of adventure, I allowed him to put it on me too. It was surprisingly cool to the touch, and a bit heavy, but not too scary. I have lived to tell the tale, although I'm not in too much of a hurry to return any snakes.


After the temple, we headed to the beach and to the monument of the slave trade. I wasn't really sure what I would feel there to be honest. Once at the site, I felt sorrow for those whose lives were given over to slavery, and sadness that so many people lost homes and families. But really, I mostly was overwhelmed by the simplicity of the monument. It wasn't all that lavish, which ended up speaking volumes. The monument is a carved stone archway that has reliefs depicting the African slaves on either side. Next to the archway are metal sculptures that are depictions of people in chains, I guess in a surreal style. There are also some small, painted stone sculptures around the platform. You walk up to the archway on a sandy path, and the arch frames the ocean. It really is quite beautiful.

After checking out the monument and getting Blythe Jane's promised picture, I headed to the beach to play with my friends. It was really fun down at the water. I put my toes in the Atlantic with my friend Sarah, but ended up wet to the thigh when I misjudged the wave. After rolling up the pants, I headed down the beach, and joined a Beninian named Coolio to dancing to some drummers. I figure when in Africa, you should jump at every opportunity! I had a great time being braver then usual, and then headed back to the road for a little shopping for some souvenirs. The bartering was a little better this time, and I got three really fun things.

OK, off to a meeting. I will post again soon!

3 comments:

Laurie said...

Snake Handling? Dancing in Public? Who ARE YOU!!! Lol, sounds like you are having a great time! Can't wait to see all the pix and hear about your adventures first hand.

Cara said...

I might do the dancing, but no way on the snake. I guess you and the twins can share snake stories after their run in with a rattle snake last weekend!!!

Unknown said...

rattlesnake! No thanks to that one.