Well my first 24 hours didn’t start off on the greatest of notes. Nothing better then your bag getting lost. J But after my brief moment of frustration tears, I felt better and was ready to move forward. It also helped a little that they knew where my bag was when we finally made it to the baggage claim.
The man trying to blend in with the Songhai Center staff and steal a bag made for an interesting experience, but to be honest, I was pretty numb to it at the time due to my earlier experience. Besides, I wasn’t handing my remaining bag to anyone who wasn’t already on my bus.
The ride to Songhai was interesting. It was strange to see huts pieced together out of corrugated metal and whatever was on hand next to old, distinguished-looking colonial buildings. Although the biggest shock for me was to pass a BMW dealership (my dad was a German car mechanic). It was surreal to see a car that pronounces that you have money for sale in a country where most live in poverty. And then I thought, “That’s where the ambassadors go to buy a car.” Not a nice thought, but there it is.

Since being in the center, I am amazed by the beauty of this place, but also by the efficiency and community. As Mary pointed out, men and women work side-by-side in the fields. Nothing goes to waste here, even the waste. It all fertilizes something, or feeds something, or becomes biogas to fuel machinery. Even their electricity is efficient in how it’s dispersed. The center represents the possibilities in Africa and other third world countries. It is technology that makes sense for Africa and is both sustainable and teachable! It isn’t creating new problems. It is affordable. It can be kept up with and
maintained without adding to the pollution problems that are hurting many African countries.Today, we met a group of 30 people from Liberia who are here for two months to learn how to create and use this technology and who will then go home and adapt it. Their government has not only sent them to learn, but has put over 1.000 hectares aside to make this a reality. Songhai Center is changing what is done/can be done in Africa!
Today, we also walked into Porto- Novo. I knew that we were pretty sheltered in here, but the walk cemented that for me.
The second we left the gate, there was so much motor traffic that crossing the street was impossible. The motorbikes and vehicles gave off so much exhaust it hurt your throat and eyes. It gave LA a run for its money. One cyclist was even driving with a mask over his face (like the kind we have to wear when using a floor sander).

The people on the street were friendly like those in Songhai Center, but I definitely felt more reserved on our walk. The children were the friendliest and were unashamed to talk to us or call “Yovo” (Whitey) to get our attention. It was strange to hear Crystal included in those calls. I’m sure it’s not meant to be malicious or mean, but I can’t imagine how that feels for Crystal to be called white on this continent and black on ours. Overall, the adventure was a success. I look forward to the others seeing the city and experiencing the difference between the Center and Benin as a whole.
2 comments:
is the Songhai Center unique to Benin? Or are there other centers around Africa. It sounds like a very worthwhile endeaver.
I think so. Although, I know that the Songhai Center has opened multiple centers around Benin at least, and I think in some of the neighboring countries. One of the ripple effects of the center is that other African coutries are sending representatives to them, and then opening their own versions of what Songhai is doing. Also, individual Beninians who visit are opening up smaller versions of it, especially the farm set-ups. It truely is a unique and amazing place. Crazy what one man's vision can do to change an entire continent!
Post a Comment