Sorry I've been absent this week, it's been a bit crazy. On Monday, I got a text from my best friend Blythe that her dad, Jeff, had passed away that morning. Jeff was diagnosed with esophageal cancer last spring, and after a hard-fought battle, slipped away. Blythe Jane and I have been friends since we were 12 years-old, and through all those years of friendship was the loving support of her mom and dad.
I have such fond memories of coming by to pick up Blythe and chatting with her dad in the living room while I waited, him in his armchair, usually with the newspaper or a book in hand. We talked about school and teaching, church, the weeks current events, whatever was on his mind. I got to hang out with her family for outings, dinners in the backyards, picnics in the park, a movie, a Zags game, or dinner out. Whatever we were doing, Jeff always quickly pulled me in, included me as part of his family. He was a loving husband and father and a doting grandfather. In all, a great example for what I hope my future husband will be.
Perhaps my favorite memories of Jeff happened at Camp Cross. One year, just after college, Jeff got talked into being a resource person out at camp by the Bishop. He had watched all of his daughters go to camp, and work at camp, so why not. I was out there as a counselor that week. I think it may have been the first time that I really saw Jeff's playful side. He loved being around the kids, and jumping into activities. But the best thing that happened was when he and the Bishop decided to go for a canoe ride. Jeff was in the back and the Bishop was in the front. As they launched their boat off the beach, they lost balance in the canoe. Jeff used those crazy-long legs of his and stepped out as the boat tipped over just getting his shoes and legs wet, while the Bishop decided that it would be a great idea to hold onto the sides for dear life, and in fact went over with the boat. Funniest moment ever.
Jeff, we will all miss you. Thanks you for 23 years of laughter, joy, and love.
Thursday, September 29, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
that's a lovely tribute, P.
Sorry Pia, so sad.
Thank you for giving me yet another great memory of my fabulous father, Pia. He was - IS - a great man. I love my dad! ~ Blythe
Post a Comment