My sophomores ALWAYS love it when I tell them we're starting a novel, and this was no exception. Amid all of their complaints that I was making them read in an English class, I was really enjoying rereading Fahrenheit. I haven't read it since high school, but it was always one of my favorite books, so full of literary allusions and relevant themes. It was crazy reading it and seeing how much of what Bradbury wrote in the 1950's really isn't that far off today. I love it when a book still has something to teach us. If you haven't read this one, find some time. His futuristic world where people are more immersed in their televisions then in the world, and where anything goes, as long as you aren't trying to think is bitingly realistic.
Hopefully my students learned something, and saw a little of their own lives in the dangers of this book!
P.S. I also listened to this on tape last year when I was trying to decide if I would teach it, and the reader was phenomenal!
Tuesday, December 1, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
one of my all time favorite books! And the film (from the 60s-early 70s) is actually pretty good too.
Post a Comment