We had a fantastic time during our 6 days. I honestly am so thankful to my fellow chaperones, Brad and Lindy (the Dream Team). We had so much fun hanging out and catching up on each other's lives (Lindy's husband is now a Doctor of Mathematics, and Brad got engaged!). Most importantly, they kept me sane and gave great advice when we needed to make some decisions on what to do! Can't wait for DC 2012 with these two!
I'll get a little slideshow of some of my favorite pictures from the week together for your viewing pleasure soon. In the meantime, here's a copy of the final blog entry which I wrote for the group to give you a little taste of what you've been missing...
Our last day
Well, friends, we have made it back alive and no worse for wear. The week in DC was amazing. The students learned some things, walked miles in the District, got a few blisters, and made some amazing memories.
Chase looks up some names on the wall.
Our last day wasn't without some fun either. We started our day with a visit to the Vietnam Memorial. Easily one of the most beautiful places in the National Mall. The memorial is actually cut into a hillside in the shape of a chevron with names displayed alphabetically by day of soldiers who were killed or who were MIA during the war. As we walked along the path, you could see tokens left behind to loved ones, and people taking rubbings of the names of soldiers. At one end is a statue dedicated to the men who served, while the other end has one commemorating the women.Our students at the reflecting pool
After taking some time their, we got a group picture in front of the reflecting pool, and then walked along it to the Washington Monument. The stroll was nice in the 70 degree weather! Now, I know that the Washington Monument is a tall edifice, but you don't really appreciate how tall until you are standing right under it.Heading towards the Washington Monument
The staff on tour: Mrs. Kirkland, Ms. Longinotti, Mrs. Moyer, and Mr. Van Dyne
After the WM, we headed back to the bus to head to the airport. Mrs. Moyer, Mr. Van Dyne and I couldn't help playing a small practical joke on our group (it was April 1st after all). As usual, Mrs. Moyer got on the bus intercom as we were passing the Jefferson Memorial and pointed out the crowd gathering there. She told everyone that our bus driver, Tim, had just heard as he was coming around to pick us up that President Obama was giving a speech there this morning. You have never heard so many voices demanding that we turn around on the spot! I had to tell the group that there was just no way to go watch it and catch our flight from Baltimore as the airport was quite a bit out from DC. Had we only known about it sooner, I would have been able to fit it in for them. (I will only say that Moyer and I faced forward the whole time trying not to laugh). Mrs. Moyer let them sweat it out a couple minutes and then came back on the intercom, telling them that Tim also wanted us to tell them April Fools! They were less then thrilled with us. It is hard when you get tricked so completely!Our last bus ride (pre-practical joke)
Our flight home went fairly well. We had some delays, but were in no danger of missing our connections as they were delayed too. Plus a very nice lady who sat with Mr. V and I during one of our legs (she worked for Southwest), told us if we were late, the next flight would hold for us since we were such a big group. We did however, have one less then ideal moment. Flying into Denver, we were told that the air was going to be a little turbulent and that we needed to return to our seats and strap our belts on. That may have been a bit of an understatement! The ride got decidedly bumpy as we headed into land, feeling more like a roller-coaster than an airplane. At one point, the plane dropped what must have been 50 feet because all of a sudden the plane was heading down and we were heading up. If I had been any taller I would have hit my head on the overhead (Mr. V might have). I instantly tightened my seat belt, having never had more appreciation for that pice of cloth then that moment. In the seat in front of us, a dad lost his baby boy for a second mid-air, but quickly Heiseman-ed him to his chest. We all made it safely to land after that, and had a relatively smooth ride after that. But I think we all had a little more appreciation for Earth once we touched down.The boys are a bit tired once we get on the plane...
Thanks for allowing us to take care of your children during our week. I hope they will share some of their adventures with you at home. We had an amazing time, saw more sights then I can count, and enjoyed every minute of the trip. Thanks also to Mrs. Moyer and Mr. Van Dyne for coming along for the ride and helping me keep my sanity. My fearless co-chaperones at the White House
Students, don't forget to create your google photo albums and pass the links onto me of photos you want to share with the group!
3 comments:
Wow, what a trip! Your turbulence story reminded me of Kip's pilot days. They always had to count the passengers and they had funny names for everyone but the only one I can ever recall are "aisle rockets" (i.e., babies without seatbelts) Nice huh?
sounds like a grand time was had by all!
sounds like quite the adventure! :o glad you had fun and i'm jealous of all that sunshine!
Post a Comment